Chamber News Article

Jersey Chamber of Commerce

Latest News

Category: Financial  Local Business News  States of Jersey

Retention Tax Payment to EU for 2007

Sep 17, 2019


A STATEMENT FROM THE MINISTER FOR TREASURY AND RESOURCES
   
Jersey paying agents retained and passed to the Comptroller of Income Tax a total of £34.98 million of retention tax for the year 2007. This is in accordance with agreements entered into with each of the 27 EU Member States on the taxation of savings income that individuals resident in the Member States are receiving.  

Under the terms of the agreements, 75% of the tax retained (£26.24 million) is sent to the individual Member States concerned and the remaining 25% (£8.74.million) is retained by the Comptroller of Income Tax.

Individuals whose interest income is subject to tax can, as an alternative to paying the tax, choose the alternative of voluntarily disclosing the amount of interest to their fiscal authorities. For 2007, 61,600 individuals opted for voluntary disclosure.

The collection of retention tax relies upon the co-operation of local paying agents and the Comptroller of Income Tax and the President of the Jersey Bankers Association are both happy that the process of exchanging information and the retention of tax is working very well. 

The Treasury and Resources Minister, Senator Le Sueur, commented: ‘This shows that Jersey continues to honour the commitments that it entered into voluntarily in the Agreements with Member States. This co-operation will continue in the future.’

Malcolm Campbell , Comptroller of Income Tax, said: ‘I am extremely grateful once again for all the co-operation and help received from the paying agents, in particular the banks, who bear the greatest burden.’ 

Please click HERE for supplementary information.

Government of Jersey Press Release.

More Chamber News

  • Employment Forum Minimum Wage Recommendation Released

    The Employment Forum has released its minimum wage recommendation for April 2020.

  • Scrutiny Panel calls for Amendments on Extensions to Family Friendly Employment Rights

    The Economic and International Affairs Scrutiny Panel has today published its second report on proposals...

  • Chief Minister Update on Government Plan Engagement

    Chief Minister, Senator John Le Fondré, issued a report today summarising the Government’s engagement...