Higher Education Fair is back for the 25th year
Tuesday 7 March 17:47
Higher Education Fair is back for the 25th year, on Thursday 9th March (1.30pm to 6pm) at Hotel De France.
The Higher Education Fair is back this week to help individuals make informed decisions about their future. The Fair, which is on Thursday 9 March (1.30pm to 6pm) at Hotel De France, is organised by Careers Jersey and new sponsors Aztec Group.
Universities are continuing to show a strong interest in Jersey students with representatives from nearly 80 universities from across the UK, Jersey and further afield attending the Higher Education Fair. In addition to Higher Education providers there will also be an employment area to show the wide range of options which are available to students and adults. These companies have been chosen because they come from a variety of industries and support their staff through professional qualifications, higher education or training.
Education Minister Deputy Rod Bryans said: “This is an invaluable event for young islanders who are considering university. They will have access to a huge amount of information in one place about a wide range of universities and higher education subjects. I recommend that parents go along with students if they can to make the most of the opportunity. I would also like to thank the Careers Jersey team and sponsors Aztec for making the event happen.”
The event is consistently popular, with around 1,000 people attending last year, and their feedback highlights distinct advantages of visiting a university fair instead of just researching options online. The benefits include:
- Meeting universities face-to-face. Previous attendees often speak about the appeal of getting immediate, personalised responses to questions, finding out more about the programmes and getting an idea of the application process
- Finding out what university admissions officers are really looking for in prospective students
- Institutions are able to provide students with invaluable information regarding the UCAS application process
- Student representatives are able to offer potential applicants an insight into what life at a particular university is like
- Student Finance are on hand to discuss funding options
- Careers Jersey will be there to offer support to students who might not be sure if university is for them or if they’re struggling to decide on a particular course
- Attending seminars and presentations (the night before).
New This Year:
New this year is the introduction of an information evening held the night before the Higher Education Fair. Careers Jersey have arranged 28 presentations on a wide range of specific courses, the application process, funding and employment options. These will be held on Wednesday 8 March at Highlands College from 5pm.
Jeremy Field, Education Liaison Manager at Careers Jersey, said: “Our aim is to provide a range of information to help both our younger students and adult learners to consider the different options in higher education but also to advise those interested in employment that they can continue their education through professional qualifications. This year we’re excited to welcome Aztec Group as our new sponsors. Their commitment to the community and the support and enthusiasm for their staff make them an ideal company to support the event.”
Joanna Hewlett, Head of HR at the Aztec Group, said: “We are proud to be the sponsors of such a fantastic event! It’s so important that individuals consider all the different routes available to discover what suits them best. We have a mix of A-level leavers and graduates at the Aztec Group who all receive a fully supported training programme. What works for one person can be completely different for another, so the more information you can gather the better!”
The Higher Education Fair is free to attend and open to people of all ages, not just students.
For further information on exhibitors and presentation speakers visit www.gov.je/highereducationfair